Spread the love
So you want to live the high life? Well the Gold Coast is home to Australia’s tallest building, Q1, standing at 322.5 metres, that dominates the Surfers Paradise skyline. But also the Gold Coast has the fourth greatest number of skyscrapers in Australia after Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane, even though it is only Australia’s sixth largest city.
All of these skyscrapers are residential buildings or condominiums, so not a commercial tower in sight, and is where tourists stay during their visit to the glitzy and glamorous Gold Coast. They come here in great numbers to experience the high life of the ‘glitter strip’ along the highrise lined beachfront areas of Broadbeach, Surfers Paradise and Main Beach. Gold Coast Hotels are amongst the best in the world.
So what attracts the rich and famous to the Gold Coast? It possibly has something to do with the high amount of sunshine that is experienced in South East Queensland, the temperate climate and mild winters, the magnificent golden sandy beaches and jewell seas, the greenery of the Gold Coast Hinterland, the abundance of tourist attractions both on the water and on dry land, the world-class dining and entertainment venues and the shopping.
It is commonly preconceived that the rich and famous people on the Gold Coast wear white clothing and drench themselves in gold jewellery. In fact the original developers and “movers and shakers” integral to the evolution of the Gold Coast, to become one of Australia’s most popular tourist destinations, were referred to as the “white shoe brigade” because of their preference for white shoes!
So where exactly do the “cashed up” and ultra cool hang out during their time on the Gold Coast?
Catch a show or live performance at Gold Coast Convention & Exhibition Centre, adjacent to Jupiters Casino, which hosts some of the best national and international entertainers, sporting events, trade shows and exhibitions.
2. Bars & Nightclubs – Share a cocktail with friends at uber-cool Stingray Bar at QT, Surfers Paradise or sip a glass of bubbly while taking in the view from the Skypoint Bar at the top of Q1– the world’s tallest residential tower.
Then, hit the dance floor at one of Surfers Paradise’s hottest clubs, like institutions Melba’s Ultra Lounge & Club and Cocktails & Dreams, or newer hot spots Sin City and Vanity.
3. Shopping – If you are looking for international designer brands such as Louis Vuitton, Cartier, Prada, Bally, Hermes, Gucci and Salvatore Ferragamo you can find them in Orchid & Elkhorn Avenue, Surfers Paradise, Pacific Fair Shopping Centre or Marina Mirage.
Pacific Fair Shopping Centre in Broadbeach located opposite The Star Casino, with over 400 retailers including luxury brands like Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada and Tiffany and Co., and global mega brands like H&M, Sephora, UNIQLO and Zara.
Marina Mirage is a waterfront shopping mall with over 80 specialist shops, restaurants and galleries. There are a selection of designer boutiques filled with the world’s top fashion labels, plus lots of boats moored at the marina and award winning waterfront restaurants for dining.
4. Restaurants – Al fresco dining is rife on the Gold Coast with chic restaurants and hip cafes everywhere and are definitely “the” places to see and be seen. Head to one of the top restaurant and café precincts like Surfers Paradise, Main Beach’s Tedder Avenue of Broadbeach. There are over 20 chef hatted restaurants alone on the Gold Coast so the choices in cuisine and atmosphere fit every taste and budget.
5. Cruise the Broadwater on a Super Yacht – a very popular past-time for the rich and famous is to cruise into the Gold Coast on their Super Yachts and moor it in the Broadwater. Pop down to the Southport Marina area at Southport Spit to catch a glimpse of these magnificent “palaces of the sea”.
6. Stalk a Movie Star – The Gold Coast is one of Australia’s most popular movie locations, with famous flicks such as Muriel’s Wedding,Scooby Doo, Peter Pan, Kokoda and The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader all completely or partly shot on the coast.
Angelina Jolie also directed Unbroken last year on the Gold Coast and Pirates of the Caribbean fans caught up with the very charismatic Johnny Depp earlier this year.
7. Day Spas – Indulge yourself at Gwinganna Health Retreat in the Tallebudgera Valley for some relaxation and a chance to share a meal with Hugh Jackman, who happens to be the co-owner.
Or select from an abundance of day spas in Surfers Paradise, Main Beach and Broadbeach, such as L’Aqua Day Spa, Golden Door Day Spa and Endota Spa, to name a few.
The Gold Coast is world renowned as being a holiday resort where the rich and famous like to relax and live the high life. However there are many more affordable options for the less cashed-up visitor and a wide range of activities to suit all budgets.
Kathy was a 50 something year old when she started up this blog 6 years ago, but has since turned over another decade and is now in her early 60s. She is married with two adult children and lives on the Tweed Coast of New South Wales, Australia. Kathy enjoys living life to the fullest and loves to keep fit and active by maintaining a healthy diet and exercising regularly. Some of her interests include reading, photography, travelling, cooking and blogging! Kathy works part-time as a freelance writer but her real passion is travelling and photographing brilliant destinations both within Australia and overseas and writing about it.
Comments are closed.